When Brother Wolf Animal Rescue was created in 2007, we were a small group of foster parents saving dogs from euthanasia and networking to find them homes. We had a little thrift store, a tiny budget, but huge hearts and an even bigger goal: to make Asheville a No Kill community.
At the time, over half of the animals in our county shelter weren’t making it out alive, and there were few programs to help struggling pet parents.
But working together as a community we’ve achieved some incredible milestones over the years:
- opening our No Kill Adoption Center in Asheville
- partnering with groups in the northeast to move animals to waiting homes
- welcoming thousands of foster families to take in more animals than ever before
- opening a ReTail Stre and grooming salon for the public, and two thrift stores — with all proceeds helping the animals
- adding a behavior department to help animals grow and learn
- starting our Outward Hounds hiking program, partnering shelter dogs with walkers to enjoy the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina
- beginning a Critter Camp to engage and educate young people
- recruiting folks from all walks of life to volunteer with the animals and events
- starting a community cat TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) program to help keep outside cats and kittens safe and healthy
- launching new programs like NeighborCorps, to meet the needs of struggling pet parents
- purchasing the land to create our sanctuary, a haven for animals so abused or neglected that that they require extra time and resources to heal
- and most recently, deploying teams to disaster areas to assist with search and recovery
We’re taking in hundreds of animals with complex medical issues — from ringworm, mange, and broken bones, to heartworm disease, feline leukemia, and cancer. And for those animals whose quality of life remains good but no treatment exists, our wonderful fospice parents care for them until it’s their time to pass.
Thank you for being a part of our circle of compassion. Brother Wolf is a mostly volunteer-run organization that receives no government funding, but working together we’ve saved thousands of lives over the years. We look forward to the lives we’ll save together, in the years to come.
Help us grow our circle of compassion for our 10 year anniversary to meet our goal of 1,000 new members!
President and Founder
Brother Wolf Animal Rescue